Monday, July 5, 2010

El Chuco







Recently, actually, a couple of months ago, I was able to visit El Paso, TX on a trip for a teacher's conference. In typical fashion, I make myself scarce and wander around with a camera, an f100 with a $10 lens. Ive come to realize it's not so much for the camera around the neck/gotta get some images aspect, but more for the desire to absorb another place. Even if it is with an aimless and ineffective walk around a neighborhood... Of course, I didnt make it to the Juarez side (though I was tempted and purposely left my passport in San Anto since I knew once I was there, that temptation would get the best of me), yet even through a wide angle lens you could see the "others" and the world in warfare. Two cities: one of the safest in the US and the other, the most dangerous city of all hemispheres. I can't imagine living in such disparity, or even in its shadows. In the states, atleast Texas, we holler about hood this, ghetto that, and even throw around the word slum every now and then. No longer do we have to fly to favelas and shanty towns to realize we can be full of shit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers